Prof. Virginia Woolums
A. Should Abortion be legal? Abortion is a controversial issue that many people have nowadays. Abortion is a process where the mother kills the fetus.
B. The main reasons for an abortion are rape, teenage pregnancy, prostitution and disability diagnosis.
C. Abortion should be made legal because abortion is a women's right to make decisions about her own body, not painful to the fetus, and abortion when legal is safer.
First Supporting Claim:
· Women's right to make decisions about her own body.
1. Pro-choice believers support the right to privacy and the idea women should have the choice to do what she pleases with her own body. As an example; a woman is raped by a man and becomes pregnant with his child. She decides she doesn’t want to keep the baby; she has an abortion because the idea of raising a child of her rapist is too painful for her to cope with.
2. Pro-choice defenders take sympathies to this woman while she then gets called a murderer by pro-life supporters. Abortions sometimes results in the woman being harassed because of the choice she has made about her own body. That’s what pro-life supports. Often time’s situations like this turns into harassment which can be considered to be part of anti-abortion violence1. These pro-life supporters stalk, threaten, and even sometimes kill women who have chosen to have an abortion and even the doctors that provide the procedures
3. A pregnancy to a woman is perhaps one of the most determinative aspects of her life. It disrupts her body. It disrupts her education. It disrupts her employment. And it often disrupts her entire family life. And we feel that, because of the impact on the woman, this … is a matter which is of such fundamental and basic concern to the woman involved that she should be allowed to make the choice as to whether to continue or to terminate her pregnancy.
4. therefore a pregnant woman has the right to abort the fetus.
Second main point:
· Not painful to the fetus (Women have the right to decide whether or not to bring a pregnancy to term.)
1. When a pregnancy is unwanted, its continuation can take a heavy toll on a...