August 29, 2018 - Pre-Colonial History 1490-1590
· April 30, 1789: GW Beginning of USA
·  CC sails ocean blue, 1st Euro (lots of sailing in China and Euro)
· Sailed along/to North Africa, South/West Euro, and China to be safe
· Portugal turns down Christopher Columbus, CC gets help from Spain instead
· 4 more trips to New World
· Pope Alexander VI mandates the Treaty of Tordesillas, Line of Demarcation (1493) leads to Portugal vs Spain(Spain won west side, Portugal won East side)
· Spain rules the Western Hemisphere (East, Central, South) for a century
· Spain vs Portugal to claim New World, but the Pope in Rome prevents it
·  Portugal colonized Africa and started the African Slave Trade, found a short cut to India and China
· Conquistadors- Cortes, Pizarro, Coronado
· 3G’s (God, Gold, and Glory) fails by 1550s. Not much gold was found
·  England destroys Spain’s Navy (~300 ships)
August 31st - The Lost Colony
· Portuguese (head East) and Spanish (kept West) signed Treaty to agree for New World
· Other Nations/Empires search for a “Northwest Passage” to China (French, Dutch, and English are 3 main ones)
· French settle in Canada, city of Quebec in 1607
· Dutch settle at New Netherlands, city of New Amsterdam (NYC) (Manhattan Island)
· English send Italian John Cabot
· 1600s, French finds there’s not a Northwest Passage, but a massive amount of land and the fur trade happening in the North. French settles in (which becomes Canada)
· 1558-1603 Elizabeth becomes Queen of England. Builds kingdom her father Henry the 8th wanted
· Great sailors. Hawkins, Gilbert, and Drake were pirates, they scour the North Atlantic and Caribbean.
· Sir Francis Drake was the most popular and famous pirate. He was asked to sail and explore the coast of NA. (New jersey to south Carolina) He decides to check out the Spanish gulf (where Spanish Navy is spotted). After 3 years, he returns back to England. Queen wants him to go back to NA and build a settlement, but Drake doesn’t agree to do it.
· Queen turns to Sir Walter Raleigh, who established Roanoke Island Settlement (North Carolina) in 1585. *close personal friend of the queen (Friend w Benefits?)*
· Raleigh runs into problems when he first comes to NA. They ran out of supplies at a fast pace.
· 1587- Raleigh decides to return back to England (lies and “promise” to come back
· 1587- John White is now in charge after Raleigh left.
· September 1588- Spanish Armada is prepared to invade England. A miracle happens, a typhoon from North Sea comes and sinks the Spanish navy to the ocean floor. English Navy defeats the rest of the Spanish Armada.
· After that, it was the End of Spain as great empire, and England rises
· John White returns to New World after 3 years, instead of 5 months like he said. He returns and saw deserted land and nothing to be seen/found.
· 1590- The Mystery of Roanoke; CROATOAN was carved in a tree.
· A tribe of Indian tribe tried to communicate with the men (used words common to...