Musical Memory Essay
Assignment and Guidelines
This essay requires no research, only reflection. I’m looking to learn a little bit
about you and your background, so please take this opportunity to introduce
yourself, share your favorite genre, and recount a cherished musical memory.
Paragraph 1: About Yourself (3 points)
• Where did you grow up/attend high school?
• What are your educational/vocational goals?
• What made you want to take this class? What do you expect to get from it?
Paragraph 2: Favorite Genre (3 points)
• What about it emotionally appeals to you?
• What about it musically appeals to you?
• Does this music cary deeper family/friend/cultural meaning to you?
• Who are some of your favorite artists? How are they significant; what
makes them significant to you?
Paragraph 3: Musical Memory (3 points)
• How old were you? Where were you?
• Describe the setting, the moment, your entire recollection in as much detail
Formatting Instructions: (1 point)
All essays must be in typed, MLA formatting (see example). To help me put
faces with names, please include a small thumbnail picture of yourself.
Professor Amend Music Appreciation Cypress College
Ex. of MLA Formatting:
I grew up in Wyoming (ever heard it?), the land where Antelope outnumber
people (no joke). I always loved music as my Dad was a blues and rock musician. My
brother and I grew up playing in his rock band, but ravenously studied jazz on our
own. Sometimes we would make the 6 hour drive, one way, to Denver to hear live
jazz music. This love of music lead to me getting my Bachelor's in Music Education
from the University of Wyoming and my Masters in Jazz Performance from the
University of Southern California. This means that, yes, I did make the big move from
the least populous state in America to the most populous state. And, yes, California
life is different! My wife (she's a fourth grade teacher) and I like it very much, though,
and make a point to...