Chinese Cinderella Chapters 5 - 9
Chapter 5 Arrival in Shanghai (pages 22 25)
1. Where does Adeline move? She moved to Shanghai.
2. How does Adeline feel about Jackie? She was scared/nervous of the dog.
3. What does their home life in Shanghai seem like? The parents lived on the second floor, and the other children were not allowed to go there. It was crowded and it was like a military arrangement. Unfair and they were treated like orphans.
Chapter 6 First Day at School (pages 26 31)
1. What happens to Adeline on her first day of 1st grade in Shanghai? She was left at school and nobody came to get her.
2. How did Adeline remember her phone number? She and Big Brother were playing a game with the telephone number & it helped her to know it.
3. How does Adelines father respond to her being lost? He did not know she was gone & gave her a map of Shanghai for the next time she got lost.
Chapter 7 Family Reunion (pages 32 35)
1. How does Little Sister respond to Niang? Why does she act like this? How does Niang react? Little Sister had not seen her since she was 6 months old & she was like a stranger to her, so she did not come to her when Niang called. She had not seen her for a year and a half.
2. What does Adeline do in reaction Niangs behavior? On p. 34, when Little Sister pulls Niangs pearl necklace & it breaks, Niang slaps the babys face & begins hitting her on her ears, neck, and head. Adeline yelled at Niang Dont beat her anymore, she is only a baby!
Chapter 8 Tram Fare (pages 36 41)
1. Why do Adelines parents not give her tram fare? She would not go and admit that she & Ye Ye were wrong.
2. How do Adeline and her siblings have to subscribe to austerity?
3. What makes Adeline sad for her Ye Ye? On p. 37 it states that he had run out of money and was having to beg for pocket money from Niang.
4. How do Adelines parents respond to the wishes for tram fare? How does Adeline decide to deal w...