Civil Rights and Liberties Assignment:
Read the Bill of Rights (Amendments 1-10 of the U.S. Constitution) and the 14th Amendment.
List seven provisions (some amendments have several provisions) of the Bill of Rights and briefly explain why that provision is important to your life and/or to Americans today.
1.Amendment 1:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
2.A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.Let the American people today hold and use arms through normal channels.
3. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized. Protecting our lives Property safety is protected. We do not have to worry about one day someone else will take away our house, car and money.
4. No soldier shall, in time of peace, be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war but in a manner to be prescribed by law.As early as the United States, soldiers in the war could demand access to people's houses for living and meals. To the people at the time brought a lot of inconvenience. Now with this law, people do not have to worry about being bothered by such things.
5. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.The right is in the hands of the people and not in the hands of the government. Ensure that the people are the masters of the country.
6. Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.The punishment for crime is quantitative. Will not punish in Mandarin. Relaxation, such a law can better manage the country.
7. In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor; and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.Assurance cases are treated fairly. To ensure that good people are not wronged, the bad guys are not let go.
Explain three provisions of the 14th Amendment that are crucial in protecting American's civil rights and liberties.
1. guarantees citizenship to any and all persons born or naturalized in U.S. It also guarantees all Americans their constitutional rights and denies states the right to limit those rights through legislation. It also ensures a citizen's "life, liberty, or property" will not be denied without due legal process.This article identifies those people you can count as citizens can enjoy the right. It also states that the fundamental rights of the people are to protect people's lives and free property. These rights can not be deprived of by the state.
2. states that representation to Congress must be determined based on the whole population. In other words, both white and African American had to be counted equally. Prior to this, African American populations were undercounted when apportioning representation. This section also stipulated that all males 21 years or older were guaranteed the right to vote.
Pointed out the distribution of people's representatives. Different ethnic groups have the same right to vote.
3. was designed to prevent former Confederate officers and politicians from holding office. It states that no one may seek federal elected office if they engaged in rebellion against the U.S.We must ensure that the bad guys in the national government without any previous political parties get involved in the current government and distress the people.