CGS1030 Introduction to Information Technology
Classwork Chapter 1: Introduction to Computers
Student’s Name: Claudia Molina
1) What is Digital literacy?
Computer literacy is the current knowledge and understanding of computers, mobile devices, and related technologies.
2) Explain why we say the phrase: “Computers are everywhere”.
Computers are a global communication for billions of people. You find the computers on the machines that we use all the time, on the car. They operate in our homes and our schools
3) What Is the definition of Computer?
A computer is an electronic device, operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory.
4) Are data and information synonymous? Explain why.
I think not because a data is a representation of some situation without transmitting any message, while the information is a set of data which are processed and provide a message.
5) What are the steps of the Information Processing Cycle?
6) Define hardware and software?
Electronic and mechanical equipment that makes up a computer.
The series of instructions that tells the hardware how to perform tasks.
7) A computer contains many electric, electronic, and mechanical components known as hardware. These components include input devices, output devices, a system unit, storage devices, and communications devices. Briefly explain each component and mention some examples:
a. Input Device: Any hardware component that allows you to enter data and instructions into a computer or mobile device.
-A pointing device
b. Output Device: Any hardware component that conveys information from a computer to one or more people.
- A display
c. System Unit: is a box-like case housing the electronic components of a computer that are used to process data.
- memory module
d. Storage Device: A storage device records and retrieves items to and from storage media.
- Solid-state drives
- Optical disc
e. Communication Device: Is a hardware capable of transferring items from computers and devices to transmission media and vice versa
8) What is the System Unit?
The system unit is a box-like case housing the electronic components of a computer that are used to process data.
9) What are common components inside the system unit?
10) Mention Some types of storage devices.
-USB Flash Drive