Period 2(1607-1754) Key terms
· Tobacco-a preparation of the nicotine-rich leaves of an American plant, which are cured by a process of drying and fermentation for smoking or chewing.
· Indentured servants-men and women who signed a contract(also known as an indenture or a covenant) by which they agreed to work for a certain number of years in exchange for transportation to Virginia and, once they arrived, food, clothing, and shelter.
· New England Colonies-of British America included Connecticut colony, colony of Rhode island and providence plantations, Massachusetts bay colony, and the province of New Hampshire, as well as a few smaller short-lived colonies.
· Puritans-a member of group of English Protestants of the late 16th and 17th centuries who regarded the reformation of church of England under Elizabeth as incomplete and sought to simplify and regulate forms of worship.
· Middle colonies- presented an assortment of religions. The presence of the Quakers, Mennonites, Lutherans, Dutch Calvinists, and Presbyterians made the dominance of one faith next to impossible.
· Cereal crops-produced in Canada are wheat, barely, oats, rye and corn; small hectarages of triticale and grain milets are grown
· Southernmost Atlantic coast colonies- Maryland carolina and Geogia.
· British west indies- sometimes abbreviated to BWI, is a collective term for the british territories in the carribean : anguilla , bermuda,...