“The Cask of Amontillado” Questions
1. In “The Cask of Amontillado,” what is Montresor’s attitude towards revenge? Use a quotation from the story to support your answer.
2. Early in “The Cask of Amontillado,” Poe has Montresor repeat the line “I have my doubts” to Fortunato. In your opinion, why does he do this?
3. The word explicit means “clearly stated.” In “The Cask of Amontillado,” does Montresor make his plans explicit to Fortunato as they descend into the vaults? Explain, using the word explicit in your answer.
4. Once Montresor and Fortunato set out for Montresor’s palazzo, what did you predict the outcome of the story would be? On what clues or details did you base your predictions?
5. Review the section of “The Cask of Amontillado” in which Montresor leads Fortunato through the crypts. Name the mood Poe creates in this scene, and list five sounds or objects that help convey the mood.
6. In “The Cask of Amontillado,” Montresor and Fortunato have a conversation about “the brotherhood.” In it, Montresor produces and object. Reread this conversation. Then explain how the object foreshadows future events.
7. Reread the paragraph near the end of “The Cask of Amontillado” in wh...