1. Who is the narrator in "Everyday Use"? Why do you think Walker chose this character to “tell” the story? What impact did Walker’s choice of narrator have on you, the reader?
· The narrator in “Everyday Use is Mama.
· Walker chose this character as the narrator to tell the story from a relatively neutral point of view. Mama is reliable, honest, and fair. She tells the events of the story, knows and loves both her daughter, makes the reader have a deep insight into her thinking and her family perspective. If the narrator was told from either Maggie or Dee, the story will be different significantly since Maggie is timid and shy while Dee is self-centered.
· Walker’s choice of narrator makes me sympathize with Mama and understand the personality of each member in Mama’s family.
2. Can you find examples of imagery? Provide some examples and explain how they enhance the story.
Yes, I can find some examples of imagery in Everyday Use.
· “Sometimes I can still hear the flames and feel Maggie's arms sticking to me, her hair smoking and her dress falling off her in little black papery flakes. Her eyes seemed stretched open, blazed open by the flames reflected in them” and “a look of concentration of her face as she watched the last dingy gray board of the house fall in toward the red hot brick chimney” => These detail refers to what happened to the family in the past, enables the reader to understand the psychological damage Maggie went through.
· “There are yellows and oranges enough to throw back the light of the sun. I fell my whole face warming from ...