Year 9 Drama
‘Fooling in Love’ Performance Analysis Task
Complete the following questions, in full sentences, in ‘Commedia Dell Arte’ section of One Note.
Part 1: All students must complete tasks 1 and 2 below
1. Write a brief summary on what the performance was about.
2. What did you think of the performance? Discuss one thing in the performance that you liked or was done well and one thing in the performance that you did not like or could have been done better. Don’t forget to explain why.
Part 2: Complete at least 5 Points worth of tasks from the list below.
1 Point Tasks
· What modern figure closely resembles the Pantalone in the performance? In your response, list one example of a similar feature between the Pantalone and the modern figure (could be costume, personality, views etc)
· How does the Pulcinella convince the Arlecchino to help him scam Il Capitano?
· Describe the voice of the Colombina. In your response, talk about: tone, pitch, volume, accent and evaluate whether or not the voice was effective in the performance and why.
· Select and discuss one prop that was used in the performance. In your response, explain what the prop was used for and whether or not it was used effectively in the performance and why.
· What was climax (peak or key moment) of the performance? How do you know this?
· Describe one example of slapstick (comedic violence) in the performance. In your response, explain where this occurred in the performance, why it occurred and whether or not the use of slapstick was effective (or funny) and why.
2 Point Tasks
· Describe the costume worn by the Pantalone. What did the costume pieces represent? What clues did the costume give the audience about Pantalone as a character? Do you think they were effective? Why or why not?
· Why does Pantalone want to do business with Il Capitano and why does...