STUDY GUIDE for EXAM #5 (FINAL EXAM)
General Psychology 210 – Dr. Richard Flicker – Spring 2019
Exam 5 (The Final) will cover two chapters: Chapter 14 (Psychological Disorders) and
Chapter 15 (Treatment of Psychological Disorders). It will NOT cover Chapter 3
(Biology/Neuroscience) despite what is indicated on the syllabus. Just chapters 14 and 15.
Chapter 14 – Psychological Disorders (62 Questions)
Many of the questions from this chapter will describe a hypothetical person’s behavior, thoughts
and/or emotions and you’ll have to identify the particular disorder for which those are the
1. What do we call the field which scientifically studies the origin, symptoms and development of
2. What influences our view of what is normal vs. abnormal?
3. What 3 criteria (beginning with the letter D) are necessary in order to diagnose someone as having a
psychological disorder? What word (also beginning with the letter D) is not required in order for
a person to be diagnosed with a psychological disorder?
4. What is “trepanation” and why was it performed?
5. What is “person-first language” and why does the American Psychological Association recommend it?
6. What percentage of people experience at least one psychological disorder at some point in their life?
7. What is the difference between an “acute” disorder and a “chronic” disorder?
8. What term is used when someone has more than one psychological disorder at the same time?
9. What is the reference book that mental health professionals use to diagnose and understand
psychological disorders? What edition is it in and how has it changed from one edition to the next?
10. Approximately how many different psychological disorders have been identified by mental health
11. What are the various disorders which fall under the heading “anxiety disorders?”
12. What are the symptoms of “generalized anxiety disorder?”
13. What are “panic attacks” and when do we use the term “panic disorder?”
14. What is “agoraphobia” and why is it sometimes associated with panic disorders?
15. What is a phobia? How is it different from a normal fear of something?
16. What are the symptoms of social anxiety disorder?
17. What are the symptoms of “post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD),” who gets it and what causes it?
18. What is “obsessive-compulsive disorder” (OCD) and what causes it? What is the difference
between “obsessions” and “compulsions?”
19. What disorders would be considered “mood” or “affective” disorders?
20. What are the symptoms of “major depressive disorder?” What do we know about depression?
21. What is “seasonal affective disorder” vs. “persistent depressive disorder?”
22. What is “cyclothymic disorder?”
23. What term used to be used instead of “bipolar disorder?”
24. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder and what causes it?
25. What are some common “eating disorders” and what causes them?
26. What is “anorexia nervosa?”
27. What is the difference betw...