English 2B Assignment: Great Expectations
1. Write an essay of between three and five pages (excluding the bibliography, which must be on a separate page), preferably typed in 1.5 line spacing, on ONE of the topics below.
2. For this essay, reflect on the novel without referring to secondary sources. In other words, quote only from the novel itself. Do not copy from internet (or other) sources. Your essay must represent your independent discussion of the topic. Provide quotations from the novel to support your argument.
3. Reference your version of the novel correctly: consult the English 2 study guide for assistance.
4. Submit a Turnitin receipt, stapled to your assignment.
5. All assignments must have the department cover page, with the plagiarism declaration signed (PLEASE NOTE WHAT IT IS THAT YOU ARE SIGNING; PLAGIARISM IS UNACCEPTABLE).
6. Indicate clearly on the cover page which question you have answered.
7. The deadline for the assignment is 12 October 2018. All essays must be handed in at the lecture and ALL correspondence regarding the administration of the assignment must be directed to the course co-ordinator, Prof. Ronit Frenkel.
Choose ONE of the following topics:
In the following quotation from Great Expectations (taken from Chapter 9), Pip remembers the day that he met Miss Havisham and Estella. Taking this quotation as a starting point, write an essay in which you examine the consequences of these meetings on Pip and their importance to the novel as a whole.
Your essay should consider the novel as a bildungsroman; in other words, in the course of your essay, comment on Pip’s development as a character and narrator.
That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first l...