What is a Ketogenic diet?
A ketogenic diet is one which aims to force the body to use (and burn) superior amounts of fat
by restricting the carbohydrate intake and its use of glucose. It is a diet that consists of high
fats, moderate proteins and low carbs. When you reduce your carbs, the body is induced into
a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body starts to turn fat into ketones
in the liver which also supply energy for the brain.
What is glucose and insulin?
Usually when you eat something high in carbs, your body produces glucose and insulin.
• Glucose is a type of sugar that the body gets from foods that are rich in carbohydrates
such as potato’s, bread, rice and so forth. It is the easiest molecule in the body to be
converted and used as energy over all the other energy sources in the body.
• Insulin is a hormone and its job is to move the glucose in your bloodstream and take it
around the body.
What can I eat/not eat on a Keto diet?
Basically think of the ketogenic diet as eating real foods. Avoid processed foods and obviously
carbohydrates of a high net carb content. The list below is a guide:
Eat the following:
• Leafy Greens- spinach, kale, lettuce, bok choy, chives, swiss chard, arugula.
• Above the Ground Vegetables- broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, bell pepper, zucchini,
cucumber, celery stalks, asparagus, mushrooms, kohlrabi.
• Meats/Seafood - fish (fatty fish is better), ground beef, shellfish, chicken, lamb, bacon,
eggs, duck, pork chops, clams, oysters, mussels, squid, goat.
• Nuts and Seeds- pecans, macadamia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pine
nuts, hazelnuts, flaxseed, brazil nuts. Most nuts are very low in carbs and high in omega
• Some Low Carb Fruits- avocado, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries
• Dairy Products- cottage cheese, cream cheese, mascarpone, heavy cream, mozzarella,
brie, mayonnaise, feta cheese, full-fat yogurts.
• Other Fats- saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, coconut oil, olive oil, butter.
• Sweeteners- stevia, monk fruit, tagatose, erythritol.
• Condiments and Sauces- ketchup (find a low or no sugar added one), mayonnaise (try
to find one with avocado oil), horseradish, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, hot
sauces. These are some safe to use ones.
• Herbs and Spices- rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
and pepper, lemon pepper, cilantro, basil, oregano, parsley, chili powder.
• Water and Beverages- water is obviously the staple beverage of all and should be the
main source for hydration. Coffee, (black or use non sweetened almond milk or try it
with coconut oil/butter. This is called a bulletproof coffee), tea (stick to black or green
tea as they have added weight loss benefits), diet coke/soda (but do try to avoid it as
much as you can as it can lead to sugar cravings), alcohol (only hard liquor, beer and
wine are high in carbs so avoid that).
DO NOT eat the following:
• Starch- potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, oa...