Task 1: Nature of human trafficking
UNDOC defines Trafficking in Persons as the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs.
Human trafficking affects every country of the world, as countries of origin, transit or destination - or even a combination of all. Trafficking often occurs from less developed countries to more developed countries, where people are rendered vulnerable to trafficking by virtue of poverty, conflict or other conditions. Most trafficking is national or regional, but there are also notable cases of logn-distance trafficking. Europe is the destination for victims from the widest range of destinations, while victims from Asia are trafficked to the widest range of destinations. The Americas are prominent both as the origin and destination of victims of human trafficking.
There are estimated over 36 million people who have been illegally exploited of there human rights victims of human trafficking in the world. Out of the 36 million victims 23.5 million of the world victims arefrom asia with 14 million from India. They estimate that 64% of trafficking I asiais forced labour wile the rest of the 36% is sex work. Most of the countries in Asia display pre conditions to become source regions for human trafficking countries like , India and combodia have most of the conditions which are weak law,corruption,poverty and low skilled workers.
Most countries in the Asia-Pacific exhibit a range of pre-conditions to become source regions of modern slavery. These conditions include weak rule of law, high levels of poverty, corruption, along with highly mobile unskilled labor forces who are dependent on remittances. A lot of women and children are tricked into travelling from Asian countries such as Thailand, Philippines, and China to Japan for employment but they are subjected to forced prostitution in bars, clubs, brothels and massage parlors. Traffickers control the movement of victims by using debt bondage, threats of violence, blackmail, deportation and other coercive psychological methods.
Task 2 : Perceptions
Memey – On November 28th 2012 a 28 year old victim Indonesian woman named Memey told her story about being a victim of human trafficking. Memey values family as she is from a poor upbringing so family is all sh has ,unfortunately her husband died and left her all alone with a small child . This forced Memey into getting a job with the...