Midterm Exam for EDUC 6975
1. Teratogen is any agent that causes an abnormality following fetal exposure during pregnancy. Teratogen are usually discovered after an increased prevalence of a particular birth defect. Teratogenic agents include infectious agents, such as rubella, varicella; physical agents; maternal health factors; environmental chemicals; and drugs. Alcohol use in pregnancy has significant effects on the fetus and the baby. Alcohol can pass from mother’s blood stream through the placenta to the fetus. Since alcohol is broken down more slowly in a fetus that in an adult, alcohol levels tend to remain high and stay in the baby’s blood longer. Fetal alcohol syndrome is a group of abnormalities in babies born to mothers who consume alcohol during pregnancy.
2. I think every kid should experience breastfeeding to find the connection with the mother, but the time should not last too long. There should have a “cut-off date” for breastfeeding. For me personally, it should happen around one and a half years old. In every stage of one’s life, there could have different ways for him or her to feel being connected or needed, and breastfeeding is just the very first stage.
3. Some signs of adolescent depression include: appearing sad, irritable, or tearful; changes in appetite or weight; a decreased interest in activities your child once found pleasurable; a decrease in energy; difficulty concentrating; feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness; major changes in sleeping habits; regular complains of boredom; talk of suicide; withdrawal from friends or after-school activities; and worsening school performance. Although some anti-depressant drugs indeed could assist teenagers who are dealing with depression, they all have some side effects more or less. In my opinion, using drugs will cause more harmful effects. Psychotherapy, getting some exercises, having enough sleep and balanced diet are all good ways to help teenagers who are depressed.
4. Kaczynski was a child genius turned social misfit and murderer. Walker suffered through racism, poverty and blinded in one eye, yet went on to win the Pulitzer Prize. In my opinion, it must have something to do with their parents’ guide. As a parent, or a teacher, the influence you bring to the kids are huge, so if one step is wrong, then it may cause two totally different lives like Kaczynski and Walker.
5. There are four major parenting styles. Authoritative parenting style combines a medium level demands on the child and a medium level responsiveness from the parents. In this style, parents are more aware of a child’s feelings and capabilities and support the development of a child’s autonomy within reasonable limits. Authoritarian parenting style put high demands on the child, but there is little responsiveness to them. Parents are very rigid and strict and if kid don’t follow their instructions, they will punish the kid with no reason explaining. Permissive parenting style gives...