Midterm Exam 1
September 28, 2017
• Time for the exam: 7:10pm – 9:00pm.
• Closed book, closed notes, closed neighbor. Calculators are allowed.
• The exam has five numbered physics problems. Please complete any four problems. Cross out
the problem you do not wish to be graded on this cover page page. If there is any ambiguity, we
will grade the first four problems (no exceptions).
• Show your work. An unjustified answer may receive little or no credit.
• Derive your solution in terms of variables first (analytical) before you plug in numbers (numerical).
• Your test must be neat and legible. We will take off points for sloppiness and missing units.
Problem Points Points
Units and Conversions
quantity SI unit selected conversions
length meter (m) 1 ft = 12 in = 0.3048 m
1 in = 2.54 cm
1 yard = 3 ft
1 mile = 1760 yards = 1609 m
mass kilogram (kg) 1 lb = 16 oz = 0.453 kg
volume cubic meter (m3) 1 gallon = 4 quarts = 3.79 l
1 l (liter) = 1000 cm3 = 10−3 m3
symbol prefix value
µ micro 10−6
m milli 10−3
c centi 10−2
d deci 10−1
k kilo 103
M mega 106
G giga 109
velocity: ~vavg = ∆~x∆t ; ~v = ~˙x =
acceleration: ~aavg = ∆~v∆t ; ~a = ~˙v =
dt = ~¨x =
free-fall on Earth: constant acceleration ~a = −gjˆ, g = 9.8m/s2 (straight down)
if acceleration is constant, a(t) = a = const, then: v(t) = at+ v0, x(t) = 12at
2 + v0t+ x0
centripetal acceleration ac = v2/r
xn = nxn−1 ,
(f(x) + g(x)) =
(Cf(x)) = C
xn dx =
xn+1 + const ,∫
(f(x) + g(x))dx =
f(x) dx +
g(x) dx+ const ,
Cf(x) dx = C
f(x) dx+ const∫ xf
f(x) dx = F (xf )− F (xi),where F (x) is an anti-derivative to f(x).
SOHCAHTOA, Pythagorean Theorem c2 = a2 + b2
sin(α+ β) = sinα cosβ + sinβ cosα, cos(α+ β) = cosα cosβ − sinα sinβ
The equation ax2 + bx+ c = 0, has solutions x = −b±
1. (25 pts) To try to win the $25 first place prize in South Park’s annual sled competition, Cartman
has constructed a $15,000 rocket sled. He is doing a test run down Main Street to see how well
it works. As the rocket engine fires and he sleds towards downtown, the sled has a constant
acceleration for 10.0 seconds until the engine shuts off. At that moment, a parachute deploys,
which begins slowing the sled at a rate of 4.0 m/s2. Exactly 15.0 seconds after the rocket sled
started moving, Cartman passes in front of the City Wok restaurant, 950 meters from his starting
(a) (15 pts) What was the acceleration of the rocket sled for the first 10 seconds, while the engine
was on? (Hint: it may be helpful to draw a plot or two.)
(b) (10 pts) Cartman is unaware that Officer BarBrady is outside City Wok, measuring the speed
of cars passing by, just as they pass in front of City Wok. The speed limit by the restaurant
is 45 mph. The penalty for speeding is $50 for every 5 mph over the sp...