New KDE Media Center Inches Closer
A new media center for KDE 5 / Plasma 2 has been in the works for a while and today Sinny Kumari posted some tangible details. With the release of a new beta, users can try it out too. Of course, it has that "smartphone" look, but it still works as a desktop application. Plasma Media Center 1.1 Beta introduces several cool new features besides a ton of bug fixes.
In her blog post today, Kumari said, "The first release of the software received a lot of appreciation and feedback, some of which have been implemented in this release. If you find yourself using your computer (a laptop, a tablet, or a computer connected to a big display) for listening to music or watching your favorite videos and photos, you should definitely try PMC."
New features include:
- * Complete keyboard/remote-like keys support
- * Better keyboard navigation for All Music mode
- * More details in playlist
- * Youtube option to search for and watch videos from Youtube
- * Ability to associate PMC with music and videos
- * Drag and drop support for removing and rearranging media from playlist
- * Playlist shuffling
- * Dimming Videos when not viewed directly
- * Places integrated into browsing flow
See Kumari's full post for more details, download spots, and installation instructions.