Writing a Persuasive Essay
Select one of the prompts below to write a persuasive essay.
1. In order to save money your principal is thinking about canceling all field trips for the remainder of the year. Write an essay persuading him or her to allow students to continue attending field trips. Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.
2. Many people believe that television violence has a negative effect on society because it promotes violence. Do you agree and disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.
3. Many parents give children a weekly or monthly allowance regardless of their behavior because they believe an allowance teaches children to be financially responsible. Other parents only give children an allowance as a reward from completing chores or when they have behaved properly. Explain what you think parents should do and why.
4. We all have favorite activities that we enjoy. Write an essay convincing readers to try the activity that you enjoy most.
5. Many junior high schools around the country now require students to spend a certain number of hours each term doing volunteer or community services. Some people believe this is an excellent idea that promotes good citizenship and cultivate compassion. Others feel that forced volunteerism is not volunteerism at all. How do you feel about this issue? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
6. Today’s top professional athletes often have salaries and bonuses in the tens of millions of dollars. Do you think these athletes deserve such high compensation? Why or why not? Explain your position and use specific reasons and examples.
7. Most private schools require students to wear uniforms. Should public schools students wear uniforms too? Argue for or against school uniforms for public school students. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
8. Many people believe that honest is the best policy. In your opinion, is it ever okay to lie? Explain your answer using specific reasons and examples.
9. Is a good education a right or a privilege? Why do you think so? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.
10. Some states have now made it illegal to drive while talking on a hand-held cellular phone. Do you think this is a good law that should be passed in other states as well? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
A persuasive essay is a short commentary designed to persuade your audience.
How to Write a Persuasive Essay
When writing a persuasive essay, your purpose is to convince your audience to embrace your idea or point of view. Keeping this purpose in mind is the key to writing an effective persuasion.
Essential steps for writing a persuasive essay:
1. Identify your main idea or point of view. Your purpose will be to persuade your audience to accept this idea or point of view.
2. Identify your audience. To write an effective persuasive essay, try to understand your audience. For example, are y...