ENG1D – Dempsey
ENG1D - Romeo and Juliet Formal Essay
Directions: You will be completing a formal literary essay on the play Romeo and Juliet. Choose one of the prompts found below. Begin by prewriting—brainstorming, creating an idea web, outlining or listing ideas.
Note: keep in mind that this is a LITERARY ANALYSIS paper. In other words, your evidence and examples need to include a number of direct quotes from the play.
1. Discuss the relationships between parents and children in Romeo and Juliet. How do Romeo and Juliet interact with their parents? Are they rebellious in the modern sense? How do their parents feel about them?
2. Analyze the characters of the Nurse and Friar Laurence as mentors to the young people in the play. Do these two people do the “right thing” in their relationships with Romeo and Juliet?
3. How does Shakespeare treat death in Romeo and Juliet? Frame your answer in terms of legal, moral, familial, and personal issues. Bearing these issues in mind, compare the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, Romeo and Mercutio, and Mercutio and Tybalt.
4. "A tragedy must reflect a range of experience and base itself on a system of values which are felt by its audience to be real." Does Romeo and Juliet achieve this? Or is it an ancient story on which we reflect with sorrow and nothing more?
5. In the Prologue, Romeo and Juliet...