INDUSTRY GUIDE: MARKETING & ADVERTISING Note: The fields and occupations listed below represent only a sampling of options
Marketing professionals seek to understand customers to influence their purchase and use of products or services. Your clients may be other businesses (B2B Marketing) and/or consumers (B2C/Direct Marketing). You may work in the marketing department of an organization (in-house) or for a marketing firm. Brand/Product Manager: Responsible for profit/loss and key elements of strategy (including pricing, distribution, promotion/advertising, aspects of the product/service itself) for a product or service within a company. Determine sales potential of new or ...view middle of the document...
Agencies may provide everything from strategy, ad development, and media buying to production (full-service firms), or they may focus on just one service (boutique firm). Agencies may work across industries or specialize in advertising for one or two industries. Account Manager: Is deeply involved in the conceptualization and implementation of ad campaigns. Works closely with others within the agency to ensure client needs are being met. Account Executives serve as a liaison between the client and agency. Media Planning/Buying: Decide how to most effectively utilize client's budget to purchase television time, radio spots, digital media, social media, etc. Negotiate with media outlets to get the best price for client.
ADVERTISING (continued) Copywriter/Art Director: Writes the text/creates the design ("draws" the visuals) for print, radio, television, and Internet advertisements and commercials to promote certain products or services.
Production Managers: Coordinate the execution of the advertisement - either via print, radio or broadcast production. Account Planners/Researchers: Conduct qualitative research to better understand consumer behavior. Responsible for developing the creative brief. Inform others within the agency about their findings. Often commission quantitative research and analyze data regarding consumer trends, advertisements in development and in-market effectiveness.
VAULT GUIDES (through NYU CareerNet)
INDUSTRY NEWS + MORE
Advertising awny.org adage.com Top Advertising and PR Employers aaaa.org adweek.com advertisingcrossing.com mediabistro.com CANDID CAREERS (through NYU CareerNet)
aipmm.com Stuart Elliott for NYTimes.com
Profiles of advertising professionals
RESOURCES AT THE WASSERMAN CENTER THROUGH NYU CAREERNET
● Make a career counseling appointment to discuss career options and resources in more detail
● RSVP for relevant events, and apply for jobs
● Hone interviewing skills via CandidCareers and InterviewStream
● Read Vault Career Insider* for industry-related information
● Register for the Arts + Entertainment, Media + Communications, Hospitality Tourism + Sports Management, Marketing listserv by updating your NYU CareerNet profile > privacy tab. You will receive weekly emails with job and internship postings, events like career panels and workshops, and employer presentations
● Participate in On-Campus Recruitment and attend Career Fairs and Employer Presentations
● Join the Mentor Network for informational interviews with professionals in your career field of interest
RELATED DEGREE-GRANTING FIELDS AT NYU This list serves as a sample of majors that relate to the industry. You should also speak to an academic advisor
or career counselor for further insight on how majors relate to your career. College of Arts and Sciences
Culture and Media Dramatic Literature English
History Journalism Metropolitan Studies
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education,...